Saturday, March 11, 2006
Justice, Mercy, and Grace
I recently was given a quote from Dr. David Jeremiah...Justice is getting exactly what you deserve, mercy is with-holding exactly what you deserve, and grace is getting gifts you certainly don't deserve. How true! We hear so much in this day about giving or achieving justice. How about granting mercy? Or better yet, offering grace? That isn't to say that justice is a bad thing per se, but... why can't we be more forgiving, patient, loving? After all, our God is indeed a God of second chances! I haven't had the chance to see the new movie with Michael W. Smith "The Second Chance," but I've seen enough clips and have the soundtrack to know that it's a good portrayal of the second chance we get from our Creator. I'm so grateful that I'm not judged for the honest mistakes that I seek to learn from and not repeat. But what about those things I keep doing wrong? What about my constant, insatiable quest for control? My power crazed approach to things? Justice would already have me stricken...I AM guilty as charged! Yet, again, and again, God keeps forgiving me...and calling me to forgive those I've been hurt by...and calling me to seek forgiveness from those whom I've wounded. The mercy and grace I get are amazing, beyond measure. It's not something I deserve, but God loves me and wants good things for me. So, he sent His son to take my place on the cross. Have you seen the bumper sticker 1 cross+3 nails=4given? That's mercy and grace! And for that, I'm so very, very grateful! I'm relieved and calmed, healed and renewed. His joys abound around me, in me, through me. I can sing and dance, share love, and try to reflect His light to others. To borrow from Amy Grant, I pray people see My Father's Eyes in me! May you be blessed this day my friends! --Karla
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment